[ih] New Republic Article - "How We Misremember the Internet’s Origins"

Darius Kazemi darius.kazemi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 22:01:30 PDT 2019

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019, 10:45 PM Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Clearly McAdam should have anticipated all this and designed his
> road-building technology differently. [Darius adds for context: this was a
> sarcastic and well-taken point]

Brian,

I'm in agreement with every claim you're making, including that it would
have been ridiculous for internet pioneers to see the future.

What is making me feel crazy here is that the author would clearly agree
with every single point in your email as well! She is not saying that
people in the 70s should have done this or predicted that. She's saying
that popular present day cultural narratives about the 70s networks miss
out on a whole lot of stuff and that we do a disservice by painting the era
in broad brushes. She points to some of the more common broad brushes, and
the people on this list look at those pointers and say "aha! Broad brushes!
This is a bad article!"

Anyhow I think I'm just repeating myself now, sorry for the spam but I find
myself flabbergasted at the response here.