[ih] New Republic Article - "How We Misremember the Internet’s Origins"

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 19:45:07 PDT 2019

Darius,

Let me try this, and then I will retire from this thread.

My thesis is that contemporary politics played a large role in making the road system look like what it looks like, *even if* the decisions in the moment were ad hoc. As John pointed out earlier, even ad hoc decisions were made by humans out there in the world with their own political leanings. But the motor vehicle industry in particular pushes a narrative of political neutrality *today* that is projected on the road system of the past, one that is not true.

When John McAdam invented the basic system of modern road building in 1816, he very possibly didn't realise that he was facilitating the development of steam traction engines, private automobiles, two world wars, Greyhound buses, interstate highways, semi-trailer articulated trucks, and human-induced climate change. He thought he was making things easier for horses, carts and carriages. But in fact, according to Wikipedia, his "efficient road-building and management work had revealed the corruption and abuse of road tolls by unscrupulous Turnpike Trusts, many of which were run at a deliberate loss despite high toll receipts." (Look up the "Rebecca Riots" for more on the social consequences of McAdam's politically neutral invention.)

Clearly McAdam should have anticipated all this and designed his road-building technology differently.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter