[ih] New Republic Article - "How We Misremember the Internet’s Origins"

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 01:28:17 PDT 2019

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 7:08 PM Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

>     > From: Lori Emerson
>
>     > I can't imagine that veering into ad hominem attacks on the worth of
> her
>     > degree is considered part of productive discussion

A tidbit about Liberal Arts (my son is a History Major) ...

There is no doubt that ARPANet, TCP/IP, Internet, WWW, etc, have been major
contributions to the evolution of telecommunications, but one of the
earliest uses of electricity to send long distance communications signals
was the one wire telegraph, invented by Samuel Morse in 1837. Few years
later the famous "What hath God wrought?" message traveled from Washington
to Baltimore. In 1847 he finally got his patent issued. There was also a
turbulent political and economic context during those years.

Samuel in his later years grew a beard, certainly was no hippie, and
interestingly he was not an engineer, not a scientist, he was ... a painter
:-)

Cheers
Jorge