[ih] IETF as a Pentagon thing

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Mon Oct 29 17:38:33 PST 2001

At 11:43 AM 10/29/2001 -0500, Craig Partridge wrote:
>What was more interesting was that when the NSFNET community needed a
>forum in which to discuss engineering aspects of IP networks, the IETF
>(which, like all Internet task forces at the time was a closed group)
>decided to open its doors to all comers.  That happened sometime in 1987

For what it is worth:

The IETF, itself, was definitely not wide open until 1987.  In 1987, I was
working for Ungermann-Bass and we were developing a PC card with TCP/IP on
it.  I asked to attend an IETF meeting and that caused an uproar, since I
was "commercial".  The only commercial companies in the community, up to
that point, had an ARPA (or at least US government) contractual
relationship. Ungermann-Bass did not.

The debate ensued for awhile, until Bob Braden spoke up and pointed out
that I had been around the community for a long time.  That seemed to stop
further debate.  However the effect of letting me in was, of course, to let
any and all other commercial vendors in.

d/