[ih] IETF as a Pentagon thing

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Mon Oct 29 08:43:34 PST 2001

If I remember my history right (and it has been a while), the IETF was
a spinoff of the INARCH task force (chaired by Dave Mills of UDEL), and
the fact that IETF had as its first chair someone from the military did
*not* mean IETF was run by the Pentagon.

What was more interesting was that when the NSFNET community needed a
forum in which to discuss engineering aspects of IP networks, the IETF
(which, like all Internet task forces at the time was a closed group)
decided to open its doors to all comers.  That happened sometime in 1987
as I recall (before the IETF meeting @ NASA Ames in Mountain View).
At about the same time, Corrigan stepped down and Phill Gross became
IETF chair.

Craig