[ih] IETF as a Pentagon thing

Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim rms46 at vlsm.org
Fri Oct 12 01:58:13 PDT 2001

Hello:

I am just curious about the transition of IETF to become
an "independent entity" from the USG, especially Pentagon.

As in 1988, in a thread discussing "Running out of Internet
addresses?", Vint Cerf (ISI) "informed" Jon Postel (ISI)
that:
  "I sure hope so - several IETF working groups are
   addressing aspects of this problem. It is conceivable
   that a restructuring of the Class C address space,
   combined with an area routing strategy might relieve
   some of the scaling problems. I don't want to second
   guess the IETF teams, though."
How/what was the IETF in 1988?

Hans-Werner Braun wrote in 1992,
  "[...] I remember that I (and may be others) had a bit
   of a hard time to convince the IETF to allow the NSFNET
   constituents to be represented. It finally resulted
   in a small group of people meeting with Mike Corrigan
   in the Pentagon to discuss the issue to allow for the
   broadening of the INENG/IETF. [...]"

It is not clear when, but I guess it was around 1986-1988.

regards,

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org
-- Yuk santap MieKocok XP bersama... OSLinux /bin/LaTeX --