[ih] IP/TCP to TCP/IP

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Wed Oct 24 15:21:45 PDT 2001

Alan, I hope you don't mind me following up to the list.

I noticed it today when I was reviewing an older paper:

Development of the Domain Name System
Paul Mockapetris, Kevin J. Dunlap, ACM SIGCOMM 1988

When I saw it, I was curious, because I know I've seen it before and
assumed that was how it was originally written.  Perhaps its not as
prevelant as I thought.  I did a quick search and although TCP/IP seems
to be at least as common if not more so even early on, it does turn up
in:

RFC 896, Congestion Control in IP/TCP Networks
J. Nagle, 1984

NSL Technical Note TN-2
Using screend to Implement IP/TCP Security Policies
J. Mogul, 1991

And most interestingly:

http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multimedia/misc/tcp_ip/8502.mm.www/0144.html

I wonder if it was a 'purist' thing not unlike the proper pronouniation
of router.

John