[ih] IP/TCP to TCP/IP

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed Oct 24 17:35:11 PDT 2001

Well, when we split TCP into TCP and IP, we thought of them as distinct.

I've always thought of TCP/IP as an odd moniker.  If it really meant "TCP
over IP" it would not include IP alone, or UDP or RTP.  And if it meant
"TCP or IP" (like he/she) then it wouldn't be parallel - you'd expect
TCP/UDP/RTP/ICMP to be the name.

And if you wanted an all-encompassing name, you'd use "Internet Protocols".

My bet is some marketing dude for operating systems at some point started
including TCP and IP on checklists of features supported.  It would be
natural at that point to use an acronym he/she saw on a lot of whiteboards
without spending the time to understand semantic distinctions.