[ih] inter-network communication history

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Sat Nov 9 10:21:36 PST 2019

Jack Haverty via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org>
writes:

> On 11/8/19 10:12 PM, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:
>
>> If you are clever, you can build a standards-compliant management system that only works with your own kit.
>
> Wow.   From "Rough Consensus and Running Code" to "Works Great, If You
> Buy All Your Internet Stuff From Us".
>
> Back in the early 80s, when I was in charge of the gateway work at BBN,
> Bob Kahn collared me one day (in a subway car on the way to dinner) to
> convince me that we had to do whatever it took to make it so that people
> other than BBN could implement gateways and participate in a
> multi-vendor Internet.   That was another Internet Principle like Jon's
> catchphrase - no vendor lock-ins like the one that existed with the
> ARPANET and its IMPs.   Bob was the Boss, so that's what we did.
>
> When did that Principle disappear?  It would make a good, if sad IMHO,
> point on the Internet History timeline, marking the emergence of Walls
> in the Internet Garden.

I think a lot of the ending imputus is coming from the celluar
providers and monopolistic ISPs that build their own hw and have
their own content to push.

Feel free to look over the L4S and 3GPP work going on as for the final
end of the Internet as we knew it. Having a fast and slow lane embedded
into the IP header is seemingly well on its way towards completion.

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tsvwg/pX-7Bei9mR3jutTjSF-MG-vxizg

(fighting back tooth and nail with the SCE alternative, but I feel like
 we're going to lose, at this point. The oppo is just too well funded,
 and too deeply
 engrained. https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-morton-tsvwg-sce-01 )