[ih] inter-network communication history

Jack Haverty via Internet-history internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Sat Nov 9 11:10:11 PST 2019

I don't know whether Bob created that Internet Principle of Levelness or
if it came earlier, but he's the one who got me on board.  That led to
EGP as a key new element of the Internet architecture as a first tool to
enable multi-vendor implementation.

Somewhat later (a year or two?), I recall being asked to come to a
meeting in DC at DCA.  There were maybe a dozen or so people in the
room, and reps from some west coast startup pitching their product for
use in the government world.

After the pitch there was lots of discussion.  At one point, one of the
DCA guys turned to me and asked "Will this work?".   I had my
DCA-sponsored Systems Engineering hat on at the time, so I looked at the
diagrams and said "Yes, it should."

BBN of course made routers too.  If there had been a Sales rep in the
room with me, you probably would have found me dead in the parking
lot.   The pitch was given by either Sandy Lerner or Len Bosack (can't
remember).   The new product was a router.  The company was cisco Systems.

IMHO, the multi-vendor nature of the router mesh is a distinguishing
characteristic of the Internet.  The other networks of the time, e.g.,
from IBM, DEC, BBN, NorTel, etc., all required that their nodes all be
from that vendor.  The Internet broke that lock and levelled at least
that part of the playing field - for a while.  Another possible
milestone for Internet History timelines.

/Jack