[ih] Early use of the "Internet" term (1977)

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Sat Jun 15 12:59:59 PDT 2019

802.3 coax Ethernet has limits on the lengths of the cables, the delay through repeaters, and the number of repeaters that ensure overall network latency can’t exceed 232 bits. When collisions occur, colliding nodes switch from sending data to sending a jam signal that fills the slot - 512 bit times - and then do collision recovery. Late collisions (after the 232 bit time latency) can occur, but did so rarely. They’re treated as errors and left to higher level protocols to sort out. Collisions are detected by a voltage drop on the cable that everyone sees, but if somebody misses it they should see the jam signal.

It’s a pretty reliable system, but collision-free full duplex is better. Full duplex switches permit multiple packets to traverse the switch at the same time as long as they have different destinations, and buffer those with the same destination that overlap. And switches allow operators to assign priorities so that more important bits have a fast lane, just as they did on the IBM Token Ring.

—