[ih] Early use of the "Internet" term (1977)

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Fri Jun 14 12:23:11 PDT 2019

The PARC Ethernet that immediately preceded Blue Book was 2.94 Mbps, not 3. The difference is greater than the bandwidth of ARPANET at the time. I think an even earlier prototype was 1 Mbps. These were both thin coax systems as thick net was a Blue Book designed-by-committee monstrosity with poor noise modeling.

RB

> On Jun 14, 2019, at 6:43 AM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> From: Jorge Amodio
>
>> Thank you so much for your detailed response
>
> Indeed, it was a fantastic and fascinating glimpse into a too-little-known
> corner of computing history.
>
> For those who would like to know more, in addition to online sources, I can
> recommend "Datapoint: The Lost Story of the Texans Who Invented the Personal
> Computer Revolution", by Lamont Wood. (I'm not sure if those who were there,
> like Mr. Peterson, would consider it accurate, but it seemed to be to be quite
> good.)
>
> Typical nugget: the Intel 8008 was not a descendant of the Intel 4004
> (although the production chips did use technology developed for the 4004), as
> commonly thought at one point; rather, it was developed for Datapoint
> (although they wound up building their own CPU out of discrete components).
> The 8008 developed into the 8080, and then the 8086... and I expect many of us
> are reading this on its descendants.
>
>> I'll follow up on a private message so I don't get the rest of the list
>> bored with details.
>
> Bored? Never! :-)
>

>>> On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 6:18 PM Gordon Peterson <gep2 at terabites.com> wrote:
>
>>> (...and, at the time, Ethernet.... which wasn't a released product yet...
>>> was running at just 2 megabits
>
> Minor nit - 3.
>
>>> "Oh, Gordon," my colleagues told me.  "It's a good system, but you're
>>> crazy... big businesses will never give up their mainframes and run their
>>> processing on networks of little computers."
>>> I grinned at them and replied, "You just WATCH!"   :-)
>
> I suspect many people on this list have had similar experiences! (In my case,
> circa mid-80s, telling my now-wife that one day everyone would have
> email... :-)
>
> It would be interesting to collect stories about when we got glimpses of the
> future. I am particularly thinking of Craig's story about Swedish train
> timetables; my equivalent was going home to Bermuda at one point and seeing
> URL's painted on commercial vehicles.
>
>      Noel
> _______
> internet-history mailing list