[ih] Early use of the "Internet" term (1977)

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 06:05:12 PDT 2019

Yup it is quite interesting how when one starts to dig about the history of
technology evolution (which is one of the main themes of our Museum) you
find a lot of connections and common actors.

We are quite familiar with Lamont's book, it is a great source of part of
the Datapoint story but according to some not 100% complete and accurate,
bit still a good reference. I really have the pleasure to be working with
people like Austin Roche the son of one of Datapoint founders and in
particular the founder of the Museum David Monroe (50+ patents) who started
at Datapoint as an intern to write code for the Datapoint 2200 and ended as
VP of Product Development departing the company in 1983.

I'm just getting started but we have a ton of Datapoint material in our
warehouse, including wire wrapped prototypes of some products and other
stuff that never materialized as a product, like an approach to put
together one of the first portable "laptop" computers.

There are many fascinating stories, and not trying to be cocky but one of
the goals of this program will be to restore the missing link in the
history of the personal computer evolution. I also have the benefit that I
was working at IBM when in 1981 they released the creation of the "Dirty
Dozen" that nobody in some areas of the company liked and believed it was a
waste of time and resources...

And there are other stuff more related to networking, such as an attempt to
have a metropolitan wireless network that was shutdown by the FCC not
granting the license to operate in the desired frequency.

More to come :-)

Cheers
Jorge