[ih] Early use of the "Internet" term (1977)

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Jun 14 11:35:20 PDT 2019

I have always contended that timesharing was just the interim step until hardware size and prices came down. We treated timesharing like that and complained when it wasn’t. ;-)  We were hard to satisfy. True. But then the OS was our responsibility, so it was our fault at least partially.

What I never understood was why the early PC developers thought ’single-user’ meant single process at a time!?  The first Macs couldn’t even edit and print at the same time.  We had been building multi-tasking OSs on hardware that small for nearly a decade at that point. It wasn’t hardware limitations.

John