[ih] Early use of the "Internet" term (1977)

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Fri Jun 14 12:12:33 PDT 2019

Yeah, the intelligent terminals we built at TI in 1977 had a multitasking OS and 48K of DRAM. But we also used a full 16 bit microprocessor, the TI 9900, because we could. And just for fun we added a second one for our floppy disk option.

The Datapoint 2200 did pretty much the same stuff in 1970, and spurred the creation of the 9900 and the x86 architecture as a side-effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datapoint_2200 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datapoint_2200>

RB

> On Jun 14, 2019, at 12:35 PM, John Day <jeanjour at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> I have always contended that timesharing was just the interim step until hardware size and prices came down. We treated timesharing like that and complained when it wasn’t. ;-)  We were hard to satisfy. True. But then the OS was our responsibility, so it was our fault at least partially.
>
> What I never understood was why the early PC developers thought ’single-user’ meant single process at a time!?  The first Macs couldn’t even edit and print at the same time.  We had been building multi-tasking OSs on hardware that small for nearly a decade at that point. It wasn’t hardware limitations.
>
> John
>

>> On Jun 14, 2019, at 12:49, Larry Press <lpress at csudh.edu> wrote:
>>
>> John Day wrote:
>>
>>> I am sure there are other early examples of “PC-like” things.
>>
>> The LINC and LGP-30 were "PC-like" -- personal, but not desktop.
>>
>> When I was a student, you could reserve 15-minute "happy time" shots on Sundays when you operated a 7090 yourself. I guess it was PC-like for those 15 minutes :-).
>>
>> The first time I touched a timesharing system (QUICKTRAN) felt totally personal.
>>
>> My first desktop PC was an S-100 CP/M computer with 8" floppies -- you could own your own tools.
>>
>> Larry
>

> _______
> internet-history mailing list
> internet-history at postel.org