[ih] DMARC [was "Father of e-Marketing"]

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Jun 3 14:54:14 PDT 2019

IMHO, the simplest effective anti-spam technique is an economic one.  If
it cost even a tiny fraction of a cent per addressee to send an email,
I'd expect there to be a lot less spam.  There are a variety of such
economic techniques to exert backpressure on senders, e.g., perhaps a
500 email per day limit on a typical "home user" account for free, with
high-volume users paying (a lot) more.

Way back in 1975 or so, I argued unsuccessfully for at least putting
mechanisms into the email protocols to implement tracking the usage of
email (accounting), which could be used for functions such as economic
backpressure (billing).    But I lost to the "everything should be free"
mantra of the era.

Back in my EE courses, I remember the principle of negative feedback -
without it, your circuit would oscillate wildly and might even
self-destruct.  Negative feedback ("backpressure") made circuits stable.

IMHO, the Internet is oscillating wildly, and techniques such as DMARC
et al are, as you say, just "workarounds", not true negative feedback.

/Jack