[ih] "40 years on, the Internet transmits every aspect of our lives" (SF Chronicle / SFGATE)

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Sat Aug 27 16:26:03 PDT 2016

Yea, we (UIUC) were the conduit for a lot of that, which would have been 71 or 72 and on, basically as soon as were were up on the ’Net.  The guys from the Illinois physics dept, Argonne (and later Batavia) were moving stuff from us to the Rutherford Lab and from there to CERN.  For quite awhile, Illinois was the largest (must have been) network user (not user) at Rutherford.  ;-)  It was suppose to be illegal, but no one said anything.

As you may or may not know, Illinois is pretty flat (understatement) and laid out on a grid of roads every mile in both directions.  The physicists had worked out a “back way” between Champaign and Argonne and later Batavia that stayed off the main highways and avoided the speed traps. ;-)  They had a name for it, which escapes me now. But basically you could go a few miles East of Champaign and then head north all the way and save a lot of time. (It is one of the most boring 2.5 hour drives, so anything to lessen the time.)

Take care,
John