[ih] "40 years on, the Internet transmits every aspect of our lives" (SF Chronicle / SFGATE)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 21:15:42 PDT 2016

On 28/08/2016 09:18, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> JANET only started in 1984*, but years before that UK physicists were telecommuting
> to CERN.
>
> JANET's predecessor was called SRCnet aka SERCnet and was active from 1974.
> Its CERN link started before May 1975**.

... in 1972, in fact:

"Computing by telephone
The CERN link which can be used
by UK teams who are involved in
experiments at the PS and ISR is
obviously more costly being of the
order of £14 000 per year.
'Dial a computer' seems to be
with us."

 - CERN Courier, Vol. 12 No. 12, p421-422, Dec. 1972.

That was a remote login and RJE connection to the 360/195 at Rutherford Lab in
the UK. A SERCnet (pre-JANET) packet switch was installed at CERN in 1982,
according to the Rutherford Lab report:
http://www.chilton-computing.org.uk/ca/literature/annual_reports/p018.htm

I see that SRCnet apparently interconnected to ARPANET in 1975, too:
http://www.chilton-computing.org.uk/cisd/literature/p002.htm

Enough Googling for one day.

   Brian Carpenter