[ih] "40 years on, the Internet transmits every aspect of our lives" (SF Chronicle / SFGATE)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 14:18:05 PDT 2016

JANET only started in 1984*, but years before that UK physicists were telecommuting
to CERN. JANET's predecessor was called SRCnet aka SERCnet and was active from 1974.
Its CERN link started before May 1975**.

I just discovered a very interesting PhD thesis: "From Diversity to Convergence:
British Computer Networks and the Internet, 1970-1995", Dorian James Rutter,
University of Warwick, 2005.
wrap.warwick.ac.uk/1197/1/WRAP_THESIS_Rutter_2005.pdf

Lots of gems in there.

    Brian Carpenter

* http://jam.ja.net/marketing/janet30years/

** I can't find an exact date but I did find a CERN archive document stating that
a Philips cassette recorder went missing from "Rutherford Link Bldg. 513 ( S S )"
in May 1975. That would be the modem room in the basement of the computer centre,
which was part of my job responsibility ten years later.

Regards
   Brian