[ih] more bounce management, was update about bogus list unsubcribe requests

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Aug 27 09:06:32 PDT 2016

>Well, on the outgoing side, one need only run antispam/virus on each
>message once.  But, I would assume that if I send 100 copies of a
>message, to individual addresses at AOL, AOL will run antispam/virus on
>each copy - as opposed to receiving one copy with 100 addressees in the
>To: line.  I could be wrong.

You are right, but if the implication that the incremental load is
something they care about or even notice, no, they don't.

>> it's trivially easy to encode the recipient in another header, and
>> that's just dandy with them.  That's the sort of thing I'll hack into
>> Sympa if I ever have time.
>>
>Well yes - but now we're back into sending individual copies of
>messages, rather than one copy with multiple addressees.

Right.  They would much rather get the multiple copies and have more
reliable spam reporting, since the cost of handing user complaints
swamps any conceivable automated mail processing.

R's,
John