[ih] [IP] OSI: The Internet That Wasn't

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Wed Jul 31 04:15:13 PDT 2013

No, it was not the OSI process.  All consensus processes have these
properties.  They become more manifest with size and with time.  It
is the nature of the beast.  However, I would offer that the
particular organization of the IETF which lacks certain fundamental
feedback mechanisms has more problems than those with those feedback
mechanisms.  There is a reasonable treatment of this in Federalist 10.

As to IPv6 turning out different, ahh soon they forget.  The ground
rules were set so that the answer had to be anything but CLNP.  CLNP
fixed a problem we had seen in the ARPANET.  I remember sitting in
those meetings incredulous that a problem we had first seen 20 year
before (now 40) was not being fixed.  But we don't need to go there.