[ih] [IP] OSI: The Internet That Wasn't

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Jul 31 04:26:29 PDT 2013

On 7/31/2013 1:15 PM, John Day wrote:
> No, it was not the OSI process.  All consensus processes have these
> properties.

Obviously they don't, since the IETF did not used to display it (very
often.)

> As to IPv6 turning out different, ahh soon they forget.  The ground
> rules were set so that the answer had to be anything but CLNP.

Not prior to the Kobe blowup they weren't.  I'm not saying they /were/
set up that way later; I'm saying they weren't for the period I was
referencing.

There was a vigorous and even healthy debate underway and I was finding
myself impressed that CLNP seemed to be holding up quite well in my
personal assessment of points on technical merit.

With Kobe, the IAB prematurely terminated the community debate.  The
community then exercised the tend-available form of appeal against the
IAB...

d/

--
Dave Crocker