[ih] First file transfer on ARPANET

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Wed Dec 12 06:38:30 PST 2012

At 9:22 -0500 2012/12/12, Vint Cerf wrote:
>john, what would you call TELNET if not something facilitating remote login?

The Telnet spec quite specifically says it is a terminal device
driver protocol.

One of the true brilliances of Telnet is that it is NOT a remote
login protocol but a byte-oriented IPC mechanism that could be used
for other applications that needed a byte-oriented IPC mechanism.
Remember we called this class of protocols: Virtual Terminal
Protocols, not remote login protocols.

Remote log in protocols by their nature are asymmetric and unsuitable
for anything else.  To call Telnet a remote login protocol is to
grossly miss the point, not only about Telnet, but what those guys
thought they were doing.

The symmetric negotiation that Bernie came up with was another
brilliance, and the go-ahead was a third.

Those early ARPANET guys were pretty smart!  It was a great honor and
a great piece of luck to be a grad student then and getting the
chance to learn from them!

Take care,
John