[ih] remote login (was Re: First file transfer on ARPANET)

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Wed Dec 12 14:37:43 PST 2012

Dave,

As I said before, Telnet was designed to be a device driver protocol
for the ARPANET.  Login is an application that runs on top of the OS.
Sometimes this application is called a "shell."  Device drivers are
usually (and in those days always) part of the OS.

RFC 1282 is just a tad later and does not appear to be part of the
Telnet specification as near as I can tell.

Take care,
John