[ih] Origination date for the Internet

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Fri Oct 29 04:04:42 PDT 2010

> beats me - 3COM was in operation by then and Berkeley BSD 4.x had also
> been released, right?

4.1 as I recall.

I arrived at BBN in October '83 at which point 4.2 was due shortly and I was
soon given an early Sun Workstation (entirely metal case, serial # around 200 as
I recall) running the first SunOS (BSD 4.1c) on the BBN corporate Ethernet
(a yellow cable strung in the ceiling).

Also of note, CSNET had been in operation for some time.  There were
stories of many folks in January, during the transition, having trouble
with transitioning to SMTP and deciding it was simplest to relay all their
non-local email to the CSNET relay, as CSNET was sorting out the biggest
messes anyway...

Thanks!

Craig