[ih] turning off the ARPANET

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat Oct 30 11:21:36 PDT 2010

Roger Fradenburgh shared this, which I repost with his permission:

-------------
Ah yes. I can't claim to have been involved with the Arpanet's birth,
but I was in the thick of things when the DARPA/ISTO PM decided it was
time for euthanasia.

It wasn't really "turned off" in the manner those words tend to infer -
It would be more appropriate to think of it as having been disassembled
over a period of several months. Jan Whitener, who I THINK was working
at SAIC at the time, handled the user side of things, notifying various
entities their connections were going away, so they'd best start making
other arrangements. BBN handled the trunks and nodes as DARPA
iteratively identified specific ones they wanted to retire (as in "stop
paying for"), with Yours Truly acting in something of a PM role.

I don't recall the exact date the last IMP (or IMPs) went off the air,
but along the way I relied heavily on our net analysis group to make
sure what was left of the network could still service what was left of
the user community. Once an IMP slated to be decommissioned was isolated
(all trunks disconnected), it could be powered down and hauled away.

...So I guess it kinda was "turned off," but a chunk at a time, not all
at once.