[ih] Origination date for the Internet

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Oct 28 22:33:15 PDT 2010

On 10/28/2010 6:37 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

>> On Oct 28, 2010, at 6:35 PM, Guy Almes wrote:
>>
>>> Bob,
>>> In this Feb-82 map, it looks like the ARPAnet and SATnet are the two key
>>> wide-area networks. What was COMSAT? Are all the rest LANs?
>>> -- Guy
>>>
> Come to think of it, when did CSnet come online, and where did it connect to
> everything else?

This probably requires a multi-staged answer, since CSNet went through several
stages of connectivity.  I only worked on the first part.

Initial connectivity was email-only, relayed through telephone calls to or from
remote sites and thence to the Arpanet.  The initial gateway was at the
University of Delaware, with  second gateway added quickly at The Rand Corp.

Some of the 'telephone' access was via x.29/x.25 connections.  These,
essentially, were telephone calls.  The only interesting difference was that
matching the email protocol data unit to the x.26 packet size was important for
efficiency and cost.  If the former was larger than the latter, it resulted in
double the packet count...

The UDel system had a dial-up packet protocol developed by one of the other grad
students, Ed Szurkowski.  I've always quite liked how it was designed.
Adaptable but easy enough to use.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker