[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Oct 14 19:44:41 PDT 2010

We explained how to do it.

You jack up the phone number space and make them application names.
But you let the users think nothing has changed.

Then you slide another address space under it that looks just like
phone numbers but are used for routing.  You maintain a mapping from
the first assignments to these numbers, so that *what* you want to
get to is distinct from "where" it is.

In the case of cell phones there is one more set of mappings to the
addresses of the cell towers.

The point is IP addresses aren't really what you want for application
names.  If you start using them as such which is what "number
portability" implies then you need some thing else and you are into
an  infinite regress!  Something has to tell you where the whats are!
;-)

As far as your contention that at one time flying seemed impossible.
This isn't in that category.

This is in the category that once it appeared that perpetual motion
was impossible. Then they discovered the Second Law of Thermodynamics
and knew that it really was impossible.

Take care,
John