[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Thu Oct 14 19:28:19 PDT 2010

[Copied to the list]

On 10/14/2010 8:59 PM, John Day wrote:
>> On 10/14/2010 8:24 PM, John Day wrote:
>>> Sorry, what was true of telephone numbers?
>
> Snip

>> ("these concepts do not apply to addresses")
>
> We already went though this. Although perhaps too indirectly.
>
> The cell phone system changed phone numbers from being
> physical-connection-endpoint-addresses into application names and put
> other addressing schemes underneath the phone numbers so tehy could
> route to them and didn't tell anyone. It became so useful, that it was
> decided to make all telephone numbers application names.
>
> So what would you like to do? Make IPv6 addresses application names?
> Then what would be put under them to be addresses so we could route to
> them? MAC addresses? That would be really neat. Then we could route
> based on the manufacturer who built the interface rather than the
> provider where the interface was. That ought to work really well!

I don't know how to do it.

When I was a Pacific Telephone employee long ago, we didn't know how to
do it with telephone numbers either.

Once upon a time we said iot was impossible to fly.  Then to fly across
oceans.  Then across space.

Now we are just down to we don't want to.

But if we did, we could.  Somehow.