[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

David Sitman david at post.tau.ac.il
Thu Oct 14 09:27:16 PDT 2010

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Jack Haverty wrote:

[...]
> It's not just IP addresses.  AFAIK, issues like "Email Address
> Portability" haven't come up yet.  Who "owns" ernesto at cs.fiu.edu  ...?
> The person?  The University?  The "owner" of the .edu domain?

This summer, the Ministry of Communications in Israel began considering a
change in ISP licensing which would require ISP's to support email address
portability, so if I were given the address david at ISP1.co.il, I could keep
this address when I leave ISP1 and move to a different ISP. Since the
Israeli universities have an ISP license, this has caused us quite a bit
of consternation.

David Sitman
Tel Aviv University