[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Oct 14 10:09:05 PDT 2010

O, good grief.  Bad idea for basically all the same reasons we have
been discussing, just up a level!

As I said, virtually all (there may be a few exceptions but I haven't
found it) identifiers in CS are locators in some sense.  There is a
reason that file names in Multics (and UNIX) were called *path*names.
So you could find them!  Files with similar names are "near" each
other for some concept of "near."  Here in the same i-node.

Hierarchical application names are in this sense location-dependent.
Just a very different "location" space that used for network
addresses.

Take care,
John