[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Oct 14 08:49:34 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 10:30 -0400, Ernesto Rubi wrote:
> Someone, somewhere really ought to spend a whole semester locked in a
> room
> researching this.  If only I had graduate assistants...hehehe

I think this will happen when somebody decides to sue somebody else
about ownership rights.  That could trigger a whole new industry around
Internet Law, not only in the US but all the other countries on the
planet.  I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

It's not just IP addresses.  AFAIK, issues like "Email Address
Portability" haven't come up yet.  Who "owns" ernesto at cs.fiu.edu  ...?
The person?  The University?  The "owner" of the .edu domain?

Maybe we'll all become expert witnesses, and well-paid consultants to
the lawyers, legislators, FCC et al, to tell them what the words all
mean.

Let's see, what should the retainer fee be, and how much per hour is
reasonable...?

Of course, we'll all wear flip-flops and grow long beards, to establish
credibility as Internet Experts.  I think Jon would enjoy that...

/Jack