[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Tue Oct 12 07:32:17 PDT 2010

At 23:43 -0400 2010/10/11, Ernie Rubi wrote:
>Folks,
>
>Thanks to all who've chimed here in these last few hours; your
>insight has been spot on.
>
>From some of the uncomfortable replies to the original
>broadly-worded questions in my message I can tell I've asked the
>right questions.
>
>I hope these questions challenge your assumptions about the issue as
>much as they've made me rethink some of my assumptions about
>networking and the legal framework of the Internet.
>
>As a final thought, perhaps the 'home address' analogy is strained
>in this context - maybe we should compare this to the ownership of
>phone numbers (and their portability).

Not in the least.  I gave it some further thought after I sent my
last email as to whether "ownership" was linked more to a "service"
rather than the address per se and realized that no that was not it.
Any "service" enabled by the address, should not be a property of the
IP address at all.  The whole problem of ownership comes down to the
Internet lacking a complete architecture;.

Your analogy to keeping your phone number is flawed.  Phone numbers
are no longer addresses but application names.  Phone number ceased
to network addresses 20+ years ago.

As I said, if you think addresses can owned, then you have not
thought about the problem  carefully enough.

Take care,
John