[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Ernie Rubi ernesto at cs.fiu.edu
Mon Oct 11 20:43:15 PDT 2010

Folks,

Thanks to all who've chimed here in these last few hours; your insight has been spot on.

From some of the uncomfortable replies to the original broadly-worded questions in my message I can tell I've asked the right questions.

I hope these questions challenge your assumptions about the issue as much as they've made me rethink some of my assumptions about networking and the legal framework of the Internet.

As a final thought, perhaps the 'home address' analogy is strained in this context - maybe we should compare this to the ownership of phone numbers (and their portability).

Finally, I must say I agree with Mr. Cerf in his comments at the IGF a few weeks back; I'm not sure it's does anyone any good to run around selling v4 space - what we likely should be doing is encouraging all who can to implement v6 to the extent possible.

Thank you all very much,

Ernesto M. Rubi
Sr. Network Engineer
AMPATH/CIARA