[ih] invention of multicast addressing

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Fri May 7 11:26:44 PDT 2010

Hi Craig,

>From some IBM-land document I found:

"...
Address---Contains the SDLC address of the secondary station, which
indicates whether the frame comes from the primary or secondary. This
address can contain a specific address, a group address, or a broadcast
address. A primary is either a communication source or a destination,
which eliminates the need to include the address of the primary.
..."

IIRC, IBM's SDLC was developed in the early/mid 70s.  Depending on
whether or not you think an SDLC "group address" fits the concept of
"multicast address", SDLC might be when the concept came about.  There
were other computer communications architectures at the time which
supported similar multiple-destination addressing, so IBM SDLC may not
have been the first.  Multi-point and multi-drop architectures were in
common use at the time because leased lines were so expensive.

I think you may find that a lot of architectural concepts like multicast
addressing have roots in the earlier vendor-proprietary computer
communications technologies, which have now mostly been steamrollered
into oblivion by The Internet.  It's very hard to tell which of all that
technology influenced the later work.

/Jack