[ih] History of the TCP/UDP port space

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Jan 23 19:13:28 PST 2006

Slightly off-topic, but before some errors get into the record...

    > From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed at reed.com>

    > I'd suggest that Ken Pogran (who did an early Multics stack with Doug
    > Wells)

Umm, maybe it was NCP that Ken worked on? By '77, when I arrived, Ken was
working on the LNI. The Multics stack work when I was there was done by Drew
Mason (initially), and Dave Clark did a lot of work on it too, before he
temporarily left for sabbatical at Cambridge. (Not sure who worked on it after
that, I think it got turned into code supported by the MIT IS people - Jeff
Schiller would probably remember this better than I.) Doug Wells may have
worked on it early on, but he left shortly after I arrived in '77, and I seem
to recall he was working on something else (maybe thinking about TCP for
PDP-11 Unix, which never happened until much later)?

    > Dave Clark (who did a stack on the Xerox Alto)

That was a port of his BCPL code for Tripos, which he did while at Cambridge.
(Those were wierd implementations - I'll leave out the details for now.)

    > Dave Moon (who helped with a stack, perhaps along with Stallman,
    > Knight, and Greenblatt, for the MIT AI Lab's ITS)

I don't think Moon did one, at least not while he was at MIT. (He may have
worked on one at 'Bolics.) The ITS one was done by Ken Herrenstein. I don't
know who did the ITS NCP code (perhaps the source says, if anyone really
cares :-).

    > I suspect even the CADR Lisp Machine

No, the first TCP for any LispM was done at 'Bolics, long after TCP was
finalized.

	Noel