[ih] History of the TCP/UDP port space

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Jan 23 19:55:50 PST 2006

Noel - Thanks for mentioning additional names.   You are right - my
vague memory of who did what should not be taken as historically valid.
I had conversations with these people at the time about the APIs, but I
was not closely involved in any of those projects, as I said.   I was
suggesting who I thought were some of the key contributors to follow up
and find the API documentation - not to grant credit...

My main point, that the network APIs in these and other non-Unix OS's
were far from the now-current Berkeley Unix Sockets API, is what I was
trying to get across - these other systems were not at all like Unix in
many ways, and they already had "mature" APIs to NCP, which were
retained so that apps could be ported forward easily.  Berkeley
Sockets's centrality came later.   Though "Sockets" seems to be a
reference implementation for nearly all stacks today, the interfaces
were extremely varied in the early days, and the protocol spec avoided
spec'ing in terms of an API (some think this a bad idea - but since I/O
APIs were quite different from OS to OS then, it was a pragmatic choice).