[ih] History of the TCP/UDP port space

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Jan 24 11:55:41 PST 2006

David,

Non-Unix APIs? Redux the Fuzzball.

Fuzzballs were PDP11 garages in which to park one or more portable
processes implementing the RT-11 virtual machine. Each machine had an IP
address; the Hellospeak routing algorithm figured out in which garage
they were parked. Each machine had a doorbell process that listened for
a packet, looked up the destination port and loaded the designated
program, much like inetd does now. The TCP interface included simple
open and close and urgent interrupt that actually worked. I don't submit
this as novel, just as an historic example of TCP interface. The first
use I can document was for the SATNET coming-out party at the 1979
National Computer Conference.

Dave