[ih] Where it All Started: Panel Discussion on the Birth of the European Internet [RIPE NCC - South East Europe 12 Meeting in Athens, Greece]

Steven G. Huter sghuter at nsrc.org
Mon Jun 17 13:16:33 PDT 2024

On 6/14/24 4:54 PM, Vint Cerf via Internet-history wrote:
> The NSF International Connections program run by Steve Goldstein for a
> time, was a key facilitator of linking national research and education
> networks to the NSFNET backbone and, through the Internet architecture, to
> each other. Hard to overstate how important that program was.

I wholeheartedly agree.

During Dr. Goldstein's tenure as a program director in the NSF's
Computer and Information Sciences and Engineering (CISE) Directorate, he
created and launched the International Connections Management (ICM)
project, which was awarded to Sprint in 1991. ICM succeeded in
connecting academic networks from about 25 countries to the NSFnet and
to its research and education networking successor, the vBNS. I believe
the last country to be connected under ICM was Mongolia in early 1996.

Mongolia is on the Internet (January 1996)

https://nsrc.org/db/lookup/report.php?id=890202384717:497424020&fromISO=MN

Steve Huter