[ih] greener underwater?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 11:44:12 PDT 2022

This piece on a company attempting to build data centers underwater
went by today on multiple channels. I can't help but think this idea
was long ago developed and deployed by certain governments long ago?

"The viability of underwater datacenters has already been demonstrated
by Microsoft, which has deployed several over the past decade as part
of its Project Natick experiment. The most recent was recovered from
the seabed off the Scottish Orkney islands in 2020, and contained 12
racks with 864 servers. Unlike the Subsea pods, the Project Natick
enclosure was filled with nitrogen."

https://www.theregister.com/2022/09/01/subsea_cloud_underwater_datacenter/

But:

"The subsea servers are  immersed in a dielectric coolant, which
conducts heat but not electricity. "

It does spark a ton of questions, fluid is far less compressible and I
would think better than nitrogen, but dragging fiber
and 1MW of power offshore seems the stuff of science fiction... or
fantasy... and even cooled to 0C I still imagine moving parts, rather
than convection is required....