[ih] pretty good video on internet history

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Nov 3 11:19:31 PDT 2022

Just looked at the video - yes, it's pretty good.   A few observations
though...

- Through the 70s, I worked with or for JCR Licklider.  I never heard
anyone call him "JCR Lick".  To VIP visitors at the MIT lab, he was
"Professor Licklider".  To everyone who knew him, he was just "Lick".
Maybe it was different elsewhere, but never "JCR Lick", at least at MIT

- My general impression is that the video is a reasonably accurate
account of what happened, or at least some parts of that history. But
it's not very good at explaining "How" the Internet happened, or why
TCP/IP became the basis for today's Internet after a historic battle of
technologies and organizations.  E.g., it mentions OSI when discussing
the Web, but neglects to mention any of the other networking
developments going on through the 80s - SNA, DecNet, Appletalk, Netware,
Vines, X.25/X.75 "internets", and especially XNS, which IMHO was closest
in vision to the TCP/IP world.  I expected the "How" of today's Internet
to include an explanation of what caused all of those other
actitivities, including OSI, to just disappear almost overnight, leaving
TCP/IP as the only survivor. The video mentions that OSI "never
happened" at CERN, but the same is true of the military environment
where it all started - the US military networks were also supposed to
migrate to OSI, and in fact the various networks (ARPANET, MILNET, ...)
replaced the "1822" interface with standard X.25, as a first step on the
migration to OSI.  That was the Plan.  But, like at CERN, that migration
also never happened -- Why not...?

- There's just a slight reference to the military origins of the
Internet, and no explanation of what those early Internet projects were
trying to accomplish -- i.e., what was the Internet trying to do 40-50
years ago?  E.g., the Packet Radio technology, demos, and deployments
aren't mentioned at all.  SATNET was mentioned, but the video ignored
the context of its history and plans, such as the deployment to the Navy
on an aircraft carrier.  IMHO, the Internet technology was driven by
military command-and-control scenarios, and was purposely made "open"
for others to use if they chose to do so. The Internet technology was,
again IMHO, just adopted by the academic and then commercial world
because it was the only one that they could actually use for what they
wanted to do, and the needs of the non-military world were close enough
to those of the military that TCP/IP fit nicely.

- After years of indoctrination by Lick I was thoroughly converted to
his view of the "Galactic Network", in which computers and
communications synergized to help humans do whatever humans do.  His
"Galactic Network" vision is very close to what I see today as I type,
looking at the screen in front of me, which I think of as "The
Internet".  So I disagree with the statement in the video that the Web
is not a fundamental part of the Internet, but rather lives "on top of"
the Internet.  Packet voice was another important type of network
traffic in the 80s, not mentioned at all in the video. Using Web
technology for conveying images, and Internet voice technology for
conversations, a military operation in the 80s could be envisioned, and
today's use of teleconferencing, telemedicine, and such could adopt the
same technology for everything people do today.  But the video
categorizes technologies such as the Web, or Zoom, Skype, et al, as not
being components of "The Internet" any more.   They are now "apps" that
exist "on top of" the Internet. How did that happen...?

Jack Haverty
MIT (1966-1977), BBN (1977-1990)