[ih] The linux router project and wifi routers

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 12:47:36 PDT 2022

On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 12:39 PM John Levine via Internet-history
<internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

> It appears that Karl Auerbach via Internet-history <karl at cavebear.com> said:
> >By-the-way, lest it be forgotten, Doug Karl wrote an early IP router and
> >an ethernet switch that ran on fairly vanilla PC-platforms.  They worked
> >pretty well.
> >
> >I think they were PC/MS-DOS based and used John Romkey's packet driver
> >design (with specific implementations by Russ Nelson) for the various
> >Ethernet cards out there.
>
> PC-ROUTE was great. My first routers in about 1991 were some old
> MS-DOS PCs using packet drivers connected to Wavelan pre-WIFI cards
> between my house in Cambridge and the late Steve Dyer's. My house was
> tall enough to get adequate line of sight from an attic window to his
> house a block away using a pair of inexpensive yagi antennas.

Wow. I was bridging wireless stuff around that time, but didn't know
how to route. IPX was still a thing. Wasn't til
1998 (as per my subject line) that I figured out how to route...

While we're mentioning folk, phil karn's networking stack was popular,
and was used as a base for linux's in 93.

> R's,
> John

This song goes out to all the folk that thought Stadia would work:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dtaht_the-mushroom-song-activity-6981366665607352320-FXtz
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC