[ih] The linux router project and wifi routers

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 09:02:31 PDT 2022

On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 8:39 AM Bruce Perens <bruce at perens.com> wrote:

> There is much to praise about the Linux Router Project, but it did not spawn Busybox. I wrote Busybox to create a two-floppy Linux installer for 3.5" floppy disks. This installed Debian. At the time, motherboards would not boot CDs, so we needed a floppy for the kernel and a floppy for the runtime before we could read a CD. Busybox was made to be that runtime. It was expanded by Erik Andersen at Lineo (and afterward)

Thanks for the corrections, bruce! (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox ) It's been over 10 years since
the GPLv2 controversies
around this died down, how do you feel about the current situation?

> and another embedded Linux company - the name escapes me.

Timesys?

It wasn't montavista (where I was), and I don't think handhelds.org
was involved either. But busybox certainly was a component in multiple
pocket-pc alikes in the 1999 timeframe, none of which I can remember
the names of either. I still remember jim gettys "unobtanium" vividly,
bulky ("is that a brick in your pocket or are you just glad to see
me?"), with a gps, wifi, and a barely working accellerometer, circa
2001... (ha! wired article on it:
https://www.wired.com/2001/11/build-your-own-franken-pda/ ) - people
were demoing X multitouch circa, 1999? but that too only barely
worked... but it was seething with potential, just like wifi was... at
the time, I thought we'd use X on a server, and display to the
handheld over wifi. The web hadn't taken off yet for much more than
dancing cats, and you had room to write real applications on real
boxes...

I spent many zillions of hours 1997(?) sshed into the handhelds.org
strongarm testbeds, porting code. Fun times.

> The Linux router project built upon it rather than creating it.

1998 LRP spawned a huge sea change in thinking for me. Instead of
trying to scale up non-mmu'd single system "embedded" images,
(windriver, ready systems, others) it proved WAY easier to scale linux
down and leverage all the QA and development work taking place
elsewhere. It took MONTHS for my roomate greg to convince me he wasn't
crazy... but the ease of use and a real scripting language in LRP was
a near-religous conversion for me. Busybox was really key, and if I'd
not thanked you for doing that before, thx!

http://www.rage.net/wireless/diary.html

I fiddled with uclinux only once again (on a pretty nifty DSP I'll
admit), but the 99.99999% chance of just one wild pointer, somewhere,
put me off of working without an MMU ever again, and once the wrt54g
landed, there was no looking back for any other form of router for me.
Cisco picked up montavista linux for their (NX?) product, and...

Haven't touched a box without a MMU since. IoT scares me.