[ih] The linux router project and wifi routers

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Nov 2 12:39:01 PDT 2022

It appears that Karl Auerbach via Internet-history <karl at cavebear.com> said:
>By-the-way, lest it be forgotten, Doug Karl wrote an early IP router and
>an ethernet switch that ran on fairly vanilla PC-platforms.  They worked
>pretty well.
>
>I think they were PC/MS-DOS based and used John Romkey's packet driver
>design (with specific implementations by Russ Nelson) for the various
>Ethernet cards out there.

PC-ROUTE was great. My first routers in about 1991 were some old
MS-DOS PCs using packet drivers connected to Wavelan pre-WIFI cards
between my house in Cambridge and the late Steve Dyer's. My house was
tall enough to get adequate line of sight from an attic window to his
house a block away using a pair of inexpensive yagi antennas.

R's,
John