[ih] Interprocess Communication

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu May 12 14:07:21 PDT 2022

On 13-May-22 06:58, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> MQTT has been around for a while.  I think it was originated at IBM.

MQ Series originated at IBM Hursley in the UK in 1993. If this list allowed
attachments, I'd send a photo of my $1,000,000,000 mug - every employee
at Hursley received one when MQ Series total revenue hit $1B in about
1998. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_MQ

I am no expert, but the article traces the concept back to "BTAM and QTAM
(Basic and Queued Telecommunications Access Methods)" on OS/360 in 1964.
RFC 62 itself cites references to formative work on multiprocessing operating
systems. The issues arose in multiprocessors before they arose in networks.

The formal equivalence between message-oriented systems and procedure-oriented
systems wasn't noted until 1978 by Lauer and Needham [1], but it was there all
along. There was a lot of Zeitgeist in those days. There still is.

    Brian

[1] Lauer, H.C., Needham, R.M., "On the Duality of Operating Systems Structures,"
in Proc. Second International Symposium on Operating Systems, IRIA, Oct. 1978,
reprinted in Operating Systems Review, 13,2 April 1979, pp. 3-19.