[ih] Interprocess Communication

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu May 12 16:10:20 PDT 2022

I have a vague memory that the IBM 360 architecture circa later 60s
involved the mainframe CPU and processors in peripheral equipment like
disk controllers, communicating over some kind of bus.  So even a single
mainframe was a multiprocessor.

Also my recollection is that some form of message-oriented interaction
protocol was used to manage disk I/O, since I/O operations often didn't
complete in the same order as they were initiated.   But I never did any
OS programming on the 360 so I don't remember any details.   Maybe that
was QTAM.

I've always wondered how much of IBM's techniques influenced the early
ARPANET mechanisms, e.g., the use of DO/DONT/WILL/WONT negotiations.

Jack