[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Mar 31 20:10:06 PDT 2022

I can provide some recollections of the origin and intent of ANM -
Automated Network Management.

Sometime in early 1983, Bob Kahn and I were talking one day about the
Internet.  In particular, we were musing about how the Internet might be
operated and managed as EGP was introduced and the Internet became a
loose confederation of individual Autonomous Systems, each operated and
managed by a separate organization.   That was quite different from the
ARPANET, which had a centralized management approach with the NOC and
refined it over a decade of operation. We had used that ARPANET model as
a guide to put the first management mechanisms into the "core gateways",
basically using the success of the ARPANET techniques to get the
Internet going quickly as a reliable operational communications
facility.   But, as the saying goes, it was obvious that "it won't scale".

Another difference from the ARPANET model was that many of the network
mechanisms that were in ARPANET IMPs had now been placed into the
attached Host computers.  Packetization decisions, flow control,
retransmission, reordering, and other such "virtual circuit" mechanisms
were now performed by Host software rather than in the Switch.  Making
the situation even more complex, there was a need for non-guaranteed
"datagram" service for use in applications such as interactive packet voice.

With so many players now involved in providing the network service, the
ARPANET approach of central monitoring and control from "the NOC" would
not be viable.   Manual coordination, e.g., phone calls between various
NOC and Host operators to diagnose problems, seemed unlikely to work -
especially since Host operators didn't seem to think that TCP behavior
was their problem.

So the notion was that some kind of automation needed to be put into the
management architecture, with tasks commonly done previously in the
ARPANET NOC instead being done by computers and heuristic software.
I.e., the goal was to automate at least some of the processes of network
management.

One example I recall is detecting problems in the Internet, e.g.,
excessive retransmissions, duplicates, lost datagrams, or such behavior
that was unusual (whatever that might mean).  Gateways (routers) could
collect all sorts of data about traffic flow, packet drops, and TTL
timeouts.   But only Hosts could detect the need to retransmit, discard
duplicates, and monitor behavior of flow control Windows.  Each of the
related "operators" could clearly collect data and make it available via
SNMP or similar protocol.  Even a simple TCP connection through the
Internet would involve three or more operators, of the Hosts at the
endpoints and at least one Autonomous System in the transit path.  With
the proliferation of LANs, it seemed likely that a common scenario would
involved 4, 5 or more separate "managers" for each TCP (or UDP) "connection"

So the focus of Automated Network Management was of course defining the
mechanisms to collect such data from multiple sources, but more
importantly exploring what some intelligent software could *do* with
that data, i.e., analyze it, draw conclusions about what, if any,
problem existed, and do something to mitigate the situation.

One example might be if excessive latency was detected, such that some
user application was being disrupted.   This could happen in packet
voice, for example, if an audio packet didn't reach its destination in
time to be sent to the speaker.   At the time, we had been experimenting
with "dial-up" circuits, where additional bandwidth could be added to
the Internet between 2 points by creating a dial-up circuit between
those points.   So one function of ANM might be to detect that the
problem was occurring, isolate where the delay was occurring, and create
a bypass path using dial-up to reduce the latency between those 2
points.   That might lead to some future architecture where the topology
of the Internet was highly dynamic, with many "circuits" between routers
being added and subtracted between appropriate routers as decided on the
fly by the Automated system.   It might even be possible to predict the
need for a topology change based on past experience or trend curves, and
achieve Problem Avoidance rather than Problem Detection.

Obviously there is a lot of detail missing in what I just wrote,
describing how to detect the problem, how to figure out where a dial-up
circuit should be added, and how to monitor the subsequent activity and
detect when that dial-up link could be terminated. And of course make
sure that such actions didn't drive the routing protocols and mechanisms
to insanity.   And of course there were many other scenarios involved in
network operations that might be able to be automated.

That was all research to be done.   IIRC, I wrote something as a
proposal to be added to the next ARPA contract.   As usual, it probably
basically said "Send money; we promise to do good stuff" with
deliverables being only Quarterly Reports.  The work could begin when
the contract renewed for the next government fiscal year in Septamber
1983.   What I just wrote above was probably just in my head, not yet
written down but the work would start in a few months.  IIRC, Bob Kahn
and I were both happy with that.

Where the "Politics" came in to the picture was on July 1, 1983. BBN had
a significant reorganization on that date, and I discovered that many of
my projects had been reallocated and now would reside in several
different divisions and different subsidiaries.

By contract renewal, those changes were complete.  I was in one
subsidiary, and ANM in another.  So I never actually worked on ANM, and
lost track of what it became in its new home.   Perhaps someone else can
describe what happened.   Did any ot the research make it into today's
operating ISPs?  When I was involved in operating a corporate internet
in the early 90s, it would have been nice to have ANM tools!

Jack Haverty