[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Thu Mar 31 17:06:20 PDT 2022

On 31 Mar 2022 at 17:50, Craig Partridge via Internet-history wrote:

> It is indeed -- great memory!
> Craig
>
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 5:38 PM Barbara Denny via Internet-history <
> internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> >  Craig,
> >
> > Is ANM ( Automated Network Management) the name of Jil's project you
> > couldn't recall? This popped up in my head today.

Bruce Laird and I "inherited" it.  I don't know exactly the poltics of it all, but our
project was to get it working on SUN workstations  [It was written in Lisp].   We
got it working and deployed in several places.  And then we embarked on a more
ambitious version: to make fully distributed.   The idea was that there could be a
sort of "cloud" of systems receiving network monitoring data and then it would
forward through to another cloud of systems that'd process all that data in
various ways.

As I did decades before in the early ARPAnet NMC code, one idea was to
aggregate the data coming in an figure out what was *really* wrong.  On the
ARPAnet, for example, if the network got disconnected all the nodes on the
"other side" of the net would show up as "down" - - not very helpful to the staff.
So I hacked it to know the network topology  and it could figure out where the
*actual* outage was and then put "unknown" for the ones it couldn't see.   We
had intended to do something like that with all the network-status feeds and it
was intended to be extensible on both sides [that is, more ways to collect data
and more ways to process/understand/display it].

Alas.  I don't know how it all turned out: I ended up retiring and passed the
project onto other folk.

  /Bernie\

                 Bernie Cosell
         bernie at fantasyfarm.com