[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Mar 31 16:53:28 PDT 2022

> ASN.1 was in SNMP because it was in HEMS.

S I recall -- and I may still have been AD for network management then
-- Things weren't quite that simple.

The politics mostly pressed by the OSI folks prompted pressure to accept
ASN.1 in the hopes that management /data/ would be interoperable,
independent of which /protocol/ ultimately won.

> By the way, many of the features noted in CMIP were actually in HEMS and/or
> SNMP first.  We were pretty open about playing with ideas at the time and
> the CMIP folks, who had an empty spec when SNMP and HEMS started, chose to
> borrow liberally.  (Or, at least, that's my recollection).

+1

> As we do these assessments, it is worth remembering that the operational
> community of the time was struggling with the immediate challenge of
> managing networks that were flaky and ran on 68000 processors and where
> only a few 100K of memory was available for the management protocols.  The
> SNMP team found a way to shoe-horn the key features into that
> limited footprint and it promptly made a *huge* difference.

+1

d/
--
Dave Crocker