[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

touch at strayalpha.com touch at strayalpha.com
Sat Mar 5 09:37:52 PST 2022

Hi, Miles,

> On Mar 5, 2022, at 7:09 AM, Miles Fidelman via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> Joe Touch via Internet-history wrote:

>>> By that view YouTube, Zoom, podcasts, and CDNs are all "prohibitive".
>> They copy at the source at the app layer, not in L2 anywhere.
>>
>> it’s not the BW, but the local serial copy operation and it’s state that are prohibitive.
>>
> No more prohibitive than doing it as an overlay.  If anything, it's more complex and resource intensive as an overlay.  (Granted that we're talking multiple overlays - but the cost here is interoperability.)

I should have been more specific:

CDNs move the work to L7. That doesn’t reduce the overall work for edge distribution, but it does avoid serial local copy inside (cheap) L2 devices that don’t always have the capacity to do so.

(CDNs *do* reduce *overall* work by caching content closer to users, thus reducing overall network traffic vs. repeated use of multicast trees rooted a the original content source, but that’s a separate issue).

Joe